2017 was a very good year for rock and indie music. There were so many outstanding albums released that year that I wonder if 2018 can follow it up...
Some of my favourites from last year:
- Wolf Alice - Visions of a Life
- Foo Fighters - Concrete and Gold
- Royal Blood - How Did We Get So Dark?
- Queens of the Stone Age - Villians
- The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
- The National - Sleep Well Beast
- St Vincent - Masseducation
So, how can 2018 follow that up?
Well, here's how...
Top 5 Albums to Look Forward to - New Music 2018
1. The Arctic Monkeys have announced a new album for this year, however, a date has yet to be announced to their follow-up of 2013's AM, but what we do know is that they are set to play at Firefly Festival in the US in the summer. Their bassist, Nick O'Malley also states that if the album isn't realised this year, then they have problems. Stay tuned...
2. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Wrong Creatures. Released on the 12th January. The 8th studio album from the American band is a post Christmas treat for your ears. Medlodic and heavy, this is a must listen to.
3. Of Mice and Men - Defy. Released on the 19th January, this will be the American metalcore band's 5th album in 8 years - these guys don't mess about (or maybe they do, but they do love releasing albums). For anyone that is not big into heavymetal or metal, I do recommend these as a gateway into the heavier realms of rock.
The album is set to include a cover of Pink Floyd's Money.
4. Jimi Hendrix - Both Sides Of The Sky. Yes, that's right, a new Jimi Hendrix album. To be released in early March, it will include previously unreleased material from his last couple of years. It will depict the changing configurations of session muscians as well as taking different twists on Hendrix songs you will be probably already know. It sounds interesting and I for one can't wait to hear material that has been kept locked away in a vault somewhere since the late 60's.
5. Don Broco - Technology. Set for an early February release, the lads from Bedford, England are back with their alt-rock, pop-rock sound. They have released 5 singles from the album, including Technology which was first played on Daniel P Carter's Rock Show on BBC Radio 1. The song is about their hate for social media.
Looks good to me.
So what new music in 2018 are you looking forward to?
Have I missed anything?
Let us know by leaving a comment.